Friday, March 4, 2016

United Kingdom Trip


1. Pick one of the walking tours and describe something that you learned about (or saw) that you liked and something that you learned about (or saw) that you didn't like.  Be specific.

   Our walking tour in Cambridge consisted of warm weather, beautiful sights, and a tour guide who was full of valuable knowledge.

   As we started our walk, one of the first sights we saw was the Corpus Clock. The clock, located next to Corpus Christi College, cost more than 1 million dollars to construct. It is composed of  24-carat gold and is around 5 feet wide. On top of Corpus Clock lies a locust, nicknamed "Chronophage", "Rosalind", and sometimes "Hopsy". The nickname depends on who you ask. This creature represents a "time-eater". It gives the appearance of slowly nibbling on the clock with every passing second, and then performing some type of dance every 15 minutes. The locust is supposed to represent the value of time, and how you need to keep in mind that every second matters, according to the tour guide. Watching this clock in action was one of the highlights of the tour for me.
 
   There were very few things I did not like about our Cambridge tour. However, the one criticism that stands out the most is how we weren't able to access all of the colleges. I know there are 31 different colleges at Cambridge and some of them should be blocked off to visitors. However, when you see magnificent buildings like the one pictured to the left, you can't help but wish you were allowed access.

2. Pick one of the companies that we visited and relate what you heard to your own job search. Be specific.

   Last summer, I interned with Prudential Financial. During the internship, I worked with a lot of Financial Advisers. Their job consisted of talking to clients, evaluating their needs, and formulating plans that fit their financial needs. I enjoyed the experience, and I am currently searching for an experience in a similar field.
 
   The trip to Fidelity assisted my own job search greatly. Before our visit, I thought that Financial Advisers and Financial Analysts were synonymous. Fidelity proved me wrong. I was introduced to the world of Financial Analysis by a couple of the London Office's employees. They informed us of their day-to-day tasks, which involve looking at new investments, evaluating company performances, and meeting with CEOs and other high-ranking employees of other companies. Such a career seemed very interesting, and I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for our trip to Fidelity.
   



No comments:

Post a Comment