I've learned a couple things from this trip that can be easily utilized in the interview and employment processes. As an economics major interested in international trade, learning about the history of the cities and their current situations was invaluable information. I learned how Bruges avoided being captured during WWII due to their impressive wall, which still protects "the egg" of Bruges today. Due to this fact, Bruges still has breathtaking, historic sites like the Bruges City Hall pictured above and Saint Salvator's Cathedral, which is located nearby. Our tour guide pointed out that the fact that many old structures are still in great shape is a big reason why Bruges is a World Heritage Site of UNESCO, a educational division of the United Nations. In the picture of the Bruges City Hall, you can see four flags flying along the roof. From left to right, these flags represent the European Union, the country of Belgium, the city of Bruges, and the province of Bruges. As I travel, I also make a point to learn basic information about the country (flags, leaders in government, etc.) that could be used in interviews with international companies.
In Ghent, I learned a lot about the culture of a more modernized city. Today, Ghent is a very busy port city. Given that Flanders executes over 85% of all economic activity in Belgium (via the tour guide), it is no wonder that Ghent does a lot of trade. The city is in a prime location and doesn't get the same tourism profit as cities like Bruges and Brussels. So while you see older sites like the Cathedral (pictured below), it is also not hard to find more modern pieces of architecture throughout the city (pictured under Cathedral).
No comments:
Post a Comment